Monday, October 5, 2009

Moving on With Today’s Lunch

I picked up my beautiful bounty of fruits and veggies and then popped over to the Lebanese store nearby my produce pickup place (hee hee say that three times fast!) for some Greek feta, Kalamata olives, whole wheat pita, and a container each of the best homemade baba ganoush and hummus.

Back at home I unpack all the goodies and just can’t decide what to eat for lunch!  It doesn’t help that by this time I am famished.

I finally settle on a plate of homemade guac (I have to use up the cilantro and avocado I bought at Publix on Saturday).   I take 2 ounces of the avocado (I want more but don’t want the points!) and mash it together with about 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, 2 diced grape tomatoes, 1 scallion, and some juice from the organic lemon I picked up today.  I put this on half of an Arnold Sandwich Thin with a whole mess of spinach leaves underneath it.  YUM!

Then I decided to forgo the feta and olives for now (yeah…I  wanted at least a spoonful of feta and a couple of olives but I will save those points)…and took a tablespoon each of the baba ganoush and hummus, along with some baby carrots, more grape tomatoes, and some red bell pepper slices.  All of the greens, oranges, and reds look so pretty on the plate.

I realize I am also incredibly thirsty and can’t seem to suck down my water fast enough! 

After that delicious lunch I licked up one of the organic Honeycrisp apples from my produce box and ate it with 1 TBS of almond butter.  I should have taken half a TBS because a whole one is 2.5 points…and I had plenty left over after my apple.  The apple, by the way, was unbelievable on its own!  It was incredibly crisp, tart, and sweet.  I know the FABKids and I are going to be fighting over these. 

While sometimes it is a pain that FabHusband isn’t into all  of these fruits and veggies when it  comes to cooking and planning meals….when  we get all of these delicious fruits the FabKids are happy to deal with the “More for Us” part of it!

OH!  I almost forgot!  The box had these Kiwi berries.  I thought they were just kiwis and that is what they called them…but no, they are something completely different.  They are about the size of grapes.  I had never seen these before and I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about all sorts of fruits from all over.  I couldn’t help it and I had to taste.   THESE ARE INCREDIBLE!  OMG!  I tried one…then two…then three..then a couple  more, and then I had to stop myself to make sure I leave plenty for the fruit-loving FabKids to try!  Then I had to look them up to see exactly what they were!  They are really high in fiber too!   The whole container is only 2 points.   I sure hope to see taste these again!

No comments: