Thursday, May 27, 2010

Jewel’s Lentil Cilantro Salad

(currently I have no picture of the finished product!)

  • 1 16-ounce bag of lentils
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more to taste)
  • 2 carrots, sliced thin
  • 3-4 scallions, chopped
  • 1 medium tomato, chopped
  • 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
  • 1/8 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (or more to taste)
  • S&P to taste

Soak lentils in water for 2-3 hours.  Drain and put in pot with water to cover.  Bring to boil 10-20 minutes, until softened, but firm.

Drain and rinse with cool water.   Add other ingredients and toss.  Refrigerate to blend flavors.

Notes:  This is a very forgiving recipe.  If I am out of scallions I will use onions.  If I don’t have carrots I don’t add them.  I also prefer the red wine vinegar in this recipe, although balsamic or apple cider will work as well.

The mainstays are the lentils, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, and seasonings.  Add seasonings until you reach the desired flavor; you may want to add more or less oil and/or vinegar.

It is also delicious served warm.

DSCF3730    DSCF3729

No comments: