Monday, November 30, 2009

Back To Nature Florida Style, Part II

Food-wise I had a goal to eat healthy (of course!), eat comfortably, and use what I had already in the fridge…I didn’t want my veggies to go bad AND we didn’t have time to go shopping for food!  So like a madwoman I threw stuff together and made it happen!

After getting home from mom’s house Friday night around 11 p.m.  I  started cooking and preparing.  First, I had a ton of lettuce left over from last week’s produce box, so I made a salad to take with the lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes, all organic and from the produce box.  This salad would also be used for veggies on the veggie wraps we would be having for lunch on the river.  

salad to go

Next,  I had a ton of mushrooms left from the box last Monday.  I just needed to cook these before they went bad…this dish was not coming on the river with us.  So I sautéed in olive oil with some diced shallots (also from the produce box..I have never bought these before), some S&P, a TBS of sugar, and at the very end, a generous splash of balsamic vinegar which I let caramelize all over the mushrooms.  The result was absolute YUM!  I am learning balsamic makes all veggies taste fantastic!

balsamic mushrooms and shallotsAnd finally, we needed bread in a hurry…so FabHubs threw a loaf into the breadmaker.  He has this down to a science…and 10 minutes, so that is his job.  This was the result:

breadmaker bread 

And by midnight, maybe 12:30, we finally crawled in bed…after setting the alarm for 5 a.m.  YUCK!  I know I seem like I get up early a lot (I do) but I really hate getting up early!

We needed to be on the road by 6 a.m., and I still had to load coolers in the morning and make kids breakfast, and shower!  But with some prep work done and my list made I was off to a good start. 

Part Three Still To Come……

No comments: