Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dressing The Oats

Somehow my breakfasts just aren’t as filling and satisfying when I eat something other than oatmeal.

And I do love my oats with a little something something added to them!

This morning’s was a new experiment!

First of all…I think FabHubs must have run out of time this morning because his bowl of untouched oatmeal was sitting waiting for me when I woke up.  Then FabPreteen did not like the Fuji apple she was eating (not crunchy enough!) so she gave that to me.

So I took everybody’s breakfast leftovers and turned them into a breakfast for me…boy did I feel special!

Digging into my Winning Box Of Healthy Goodies from Oh She Glows Angela, I found these:

Navitas raw chocolate nibs

These are cacao nibs, raw chocolate, powerfully healthy and a SuperFood! 

Navitas raw chocolate nibs

If you can’t read it…(I can’t!) it says how these contain a rich supply of vitamins and minerals including beta-carotene, zinc, and magnesium, and more anti-oxidant flavanoids than blueberries, red wine, and green tea.

We had opened the package a few weeks ago and eagerly dug and and…and…and…UGH!  BITTER!  Yes…no sugar added!  But I wanted to like them!

I knew I needed to find a way to enjoy them…in something else because at this point I just cannot snack on them as is!

So the lightbulb went off when I was making my oatmeal this morning and I went and got them and added a large spoonful to my oats, along with half of FabPreteen’s leftover apple (chopped up and microwaved along with the oats when I heated them up) and of course my usual spoonful of almond butter.  The almond butter just makes the oatmeal for me!

apple oats

oats with cacao nibs    This was absolutely delicious!  The bitterness of the cacao nibs was totally masked by the rest of the ingredients…and not only did it add a perfect hint of chocolate to my oatmeal, it also added a fabulous crunchiness that I really enjoyed.  This will also be really good with bananas I think….chocolate…bananas…almond butter….OH YUM!

Yes…this is definitely a keeper and I am looking forward to using my nibs now!

1 comment:

rochelle said...

YUMMM! That sounds so good. I haven't tried almond butter in my oatmeal yet, but since reading your post last have purchased almond milk. I love that it only has 40 calories, and I really liked the flavor on my Go Lean cereal topped with frozen berries. You always have such great ideas!