Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Same, Only Different

Remember how in yesterday’s post I made the sweet potato curry from this recipe, which basically called for sweet potatoes, green beans, cumin, turmeric, curry powder or curry spices, onion, cilantro, veggie broth, and a few other ingredients to make it a stew?

And remember I was encouraging you that most recipes are simply other recipes modified to whatever you have on hand?

Well I was visiting over at The Healthy Everythingtarian this morning (I get tons of inspiration from OPB…Other People’s Blogs) and she had a picture of this delicious looking soup…mulligatawny soup.   She had a link for the recipe, so I clicked on through and had to laugh when I started reading the ingredients!

In addition to a few other ingredients such as carrots and celery and tomatoes, it had potatoes (sweet potaters work just fine!), curry powder, cumin, turmeric, green beans, cilantro, and veggie broth…and more.   Of course this looks fantastic and since I have everything for it I will have to make this version too! 

But for those of you who write and say I am creative and you could never come up with these…yes you can!  Have more faith in yourself…take some recipes you know and prepare and just adapt to what you might have around…add this, remove that…(of course my vote would be to add some more produce…all different kinds). 

Most of my adaptations are because I am lazy…yep….all of my tweaking and adjusting is to save me a run to the store to pick up the actual ingredients I don’t have and to use up those I do have!

99% of the time it will be just fine.   Yes you may have deferred success at times but it is all a learning process.   Give it a try.

No comments: