Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Three Meals From The Produce Box

Because I spent so much time at my mom’s last week with visiting family, we are in serious “hurry up and eat veggies” mode around here this week!

These are the last three meals I have made…all using my organic veggies.  (Breakfast doesn’t count…it is usually oatmeal and fruit…which goes so fast it is a blur in our kitchen).

Dinner last night was a huge helping of the balsamic mushroom/shallot mixture I made last Friday to make sure my ‘shrooms didn’t go bad.  I also had a generous salad using the last of the green leaf lettuce from last week topped with carrots, cukes, cherry tomaters, and scallions.   With my peanut dressing….I love my peanut dressing!  I also rustled up a leftover half of a baked sweet potato.  I sliced that up and pan fried it in a little Pam.

 

organic produce meals

For lunch today I had a way too old avocado….it should be green but it is actually that black thing in the picture!  I have been meaning to use it for a while but it is one of those things that needs to be used once it is made so I procrastinated until it was nearly beyond good.  Also some cilantro, lemon juice, diced scallions, and diced cherry tomaters for my own version of guacasalsa. 

Guacamole Salsa

Guacamole SalsaEverything diced in the bowl, then mixed together.  I had this on some lavosh crackers along with a few carrots.  Again, everything but the crackers came in the box!

DSCF6255

Oh this was so good!  FabTeen came home from school and finished off the rest so I don’t have to worry about it going bad.

I threw in a snack today….one of my all-time favorite fruits in the whole world…persimmons!  And I love the acorn-shaped Hachiya persimmons.  I had two that were ripe…and since everybody around here but FabHubs is a major persimmon fan we were each limited to half a persimmon.

persimmons

Persimmons

Dinner tonight was “a compost pile” as grumpy old FabHubs called it….formally known as sweet potato/green bean curry which was really good.   The aromas that came out of the pot as I added the spices were unbelievable.  The recipe called for yogurt, but I did not have any left so I used Almond Milk instead which worked just fine.  Last week I tried my hand at making Veggie Broth with the scraps and cuttings from our veggie meals.  It came out fine…and I used that in the curry for the liquid as well.  

sweet potato and green bean curry

I served it over brown rice along with toppers….raw cashews and raisins.   Not only was this delicious and filling….but it used up two of my sweet potatoes (I have at least five to go I think!) and a whole mess of green beans!

sweet potato and green bean curryLooks good, doesn’t it?

And I just can’t resist throwing in breakfast this morning since I have the pictures anyway.  Yes it was my usual, oatmeal made in the micro with almond milk, water, bananas (I love them cooked) and a spoonful of almond butter with some cinnamon sprinkled on top.  

oatmeal with bananas  and almond butterBut I added a treat to this morning’s espresso.  I frothed up a little bit of Silk Milk soy eggnog and added it to my espresso…for good measure I sprinkled cinnamon on top of this too…not my favorite but it is a superfood so I went for it.   My own version of Starbucks.

soy eggnog latte

soy eggnog latte I feel I am making a dent in the packed fridge!

And I have a victory…FabHubs is taking leftover “compost pile” for lunch tomorrow.

5 comments:

rochelle said...

Love your menus! You've come up with some pretty great ideas.

Ellura said...

your box sounds awesome! Although I think my husband would act just like yours. lol I love his description of dinner "compost." Still laughing over that. lol

M and A said...

that guacsalsa looks yummy! reminds me of warm & sunny cancun! way to go! i am so not that creative!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) said...

I love avocado! And I think the price has gone down a little bit at Publix recently to $1.29 -- not as good as the summer price, but still fabulous! One of the benefits of living in Florida :)

Jewel said...

Rochelle: (That is my sister's name!) Necessity is the mother of invention here!

Ellura: At least is smells a lot better than the compost pile!

WW Mama: It is yummy...but then I think cilantro makes almost any dish yummy :)

Hey Meredith...you know there probably is a delivery location right near you. Since you are one person, you can go biweekly and get a half share. Or more of a fruit share. It is much cheaper and better than the organics at Publix.