Thursday, January 14, 2010

This Week’s Produce

WOW…you don’t hear from me for a whole week and then three posts in one day!  I am seriously making up for lost time here today.

Here is another week of beautiful produce…and I may not be doing a good job of keeping up with the blogging but I am managing to keep up with the fruits and veggies!

This week I got:

DSCF8022 DSCF8020 

which translates to:

  • potatoes
  • lettuce (butter?)
  • Roma tomatoes
  • Crimini mushrooms
  • a bunch of parsley
  • cucumber
  • broccoli
  • escarole
  • acorn squash
  • onions
  • shallots
  • eggplant
  • blueberries
  • lemons
  • apples
  • pears
  • Galia melon (new for me…looks like a mini cantalope!)
  • tangelos
  • straberries
  • mangos
  • raspberries
  • oranges
  • pineapple

Lots of good salad stuff in there!

I have found the green bags to be a great help in making the produce last other than the herbs.  For these I stick them in a cup with water, like flowers in a vase, and they seem to last a couple of weeks that way!

DSCF8051 I have also found if I wash my lettuce as soon as I can, tear it up, spin in the salad spinner until dry and store in the green bags that it is much easier to grab a handful or three to make salads for lunch or dinner, and more apt to get used.  It took me until yesterday to do this week’s batch…but it finally was done.  I washed/spun/tore both the lettuce and the escarole and just mixed them together!

Then…using anything I could grab to throw in there…from last week and this week…I made this:

DSCF8047 DSCF8049 This thing is HUGE!  Wouldn’t even fit on the plate so I had to use a Gladware bowl.  I had the same thing yesterday and today….and made it for lunch for FabHubs yesterday.  He was thrilled. (Can you see the sarcasm dripping from those words?)  But I made it so he ate it (insert an evil gleeful triumphant cackling sound here!)

So what is in this?  Glad you asked!

  • Escarole
  • Some kind of lettuce, I think butter but I am not sure
  • Carrot
  • Daikon
  • Mushroom
  • Tomato
  • Red Bell Pepper
  • Celery
  • Shredded beets (I shredded a whole bunch on my KitchenAid this weekend and kept them for week-long salad use!)
  • Cucumber
  • Maybe something else but I cannot remember!

On top I sprinkled a small handful of roasted cashews…and then I warmed some seitan pieces in a pan (those are the meat-looking things) and add those on top.   The fat and protein in these two things will help keep me going until dinner!  I hope.  Well, that is the plan anyway!

I dressed this whole nekkid thing with the current love of my salad life…Thai Peanut Dressing!  I am out of it now (sniff sniff) and am going to try to duplicate that recipe in the next few weeks (found a recipe in my Everything Vegetarian cookbook!!) so I don’t have to travel all the way to Norman Brothers market (small, privately-owned specialty market) and pay a king’s ransom to get it.

A yummy, healthy, filling lunch!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Thanks for the tip on fresh herbs. I hate that they go bad so quickly. I am going to try it. Where do you get all your fun produce from? It always looks so delicious. Thanks for the pics sure do love them.

Grace said...

What great looking veggies! I'll have to look into these green bag things. Do you just pick them up at the grocery store?