Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cookies and Burgers…What A Combo!

Well we are halfway through Cookie Season with only two weeks left (thank goodness!) and I am happy to update we are around the 700 box sold mark on FabPreteen’s quest for 1,000.DSCF0036 Yes, I have cookie boxes all over my living room!  Those are all full cases you see….but that is the last of what she needs to hit the mark!

A few more booths, a few more boxes, and then I can get back to my regularly scheduled blogging!

Honestly, I take tons of pictures for the blog, but by the time night comes and I am done with work and cookies (there is nothing else in my life right now!) I am totally and completely beyond pooped and the fingers just won’t work to eek out a post…let alone the brain put together something coherent!

That being said, it is the weekend and FabPreteen is at her dad’s this weekend which means no cookie booths for me and blog posts for you!

This week I really had some deeeeeelicious concoctions I whipped up while frantically trying to use up produce before it went bad!

Before I get into a few of those…I have to share the new and unusual veggie (for me) that came in my box this week!

I consider myself pretty worldly and knowledgeable when it comes to fruits and veggies…but this was new to me….and just adorable too!  It looks like a little flying saucer!

DSCF0009DSCF0008 It is a sunburst or patty pan squash!  I need to figure out what I want to do with them to enjoy them.  So far I have only cut up one into a pan of roasted veggies that I made this week.

But here is what I did with another squash I had…zucchini!  I have had these zukes in one of those green bags for more than two weeks now…those green bags are fantastic!  But they aren’t miraculous and the zucchinis were letting me know they need to be used up or else…so I made them into these:DSCF0004

These zucchini burgers were beyond deliciousness!  (I can’t believe this former 100% medium-rare beef-loving gal just said that!)

I grated up the zukes and let them drain while I chopped garlic and grated fresh romano cheese to put in there.  When the grated zucchini had drained, I hand squeezed large clumps of it so it was very dry, and then added the garlic, cheese, some panko bread crumbs, and an egg.

I formed these into burgers and fried them up.  No ketchup needed!!

I also had some organic potatoes that needed to be used…which I baked and we topped with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

And finally the ever present salad.  I get a head of lettuce and some for of tomatoes in every week’s produce box…as well as various other veggies that are perfect in salad…and so we always have salad to eat.  I don’t mind but I am not sure my family is of the same mindset at this point!DSCF0001I was pretty pleased with this dinner!!!!  Even though I am not having meat…I feel like I eat like a Queen and in great portions….and still lose weight!   Not too shabby!

And I never got to it earlier this week…but here was my box this week!DSCF8312 DSCF8311Bananas, apples, strawberries, mandarin oranges, raspberries, apples, lettuce, tomatoes, asparagus, the patty pan squash, avocado, kale, carrots, pears, mangoes, blueberries, dill, radishes…and more!

The bananas were incredible!  I have never seen such big fat bananas…DSCF0037Okay…besides the fact that the picture does not do the description justice at all…what weirdo posts a banana with a golf ball for comparison!

You will just have to take my word for it!!!

Have any of you been able to find an organic produce co-op near you?

1 comment:

Melissa S. said...

Hi! I just found your blog through Meredith (pursuing balance) and we're planning a south fl blogger meetup this weekend if you're interested! email me when you get a chance! thanks! trying[dot]to[dot]heal[at]gmail[dot]com